Tuesday, March 16, 2010

City life (the beginning of many, many posts)


I was planing on settling in for the night at 11:00pm., but I had a desire for two things: outside air, and proof that people were still on the street. Of course there'd be people on the street at 11:00pm in the East Village - nightlife has barely just begun! There are always people on the street (though 5:30 a.m. is a bit bleak - a bit too late for all nighters and too early for everyone else, unless one picks up trash).

So, yes, I proved that I could take a walk whenever I felt like it. And I got my air, not all that fresh, but I'm not used to the stuffiness of apartments or windows that can't be thrown open without a care, and so, air (fresh or not) was a welcome relief.

The first night I arrived in New York I felt overwhelmed. Of course, I've been here on a regular basis since I moved to Maine, but knowing I'd be living here again made a difference. I went into a Whole Foods store to buy some groceries and decided I'd never go in there again around 6:00pm. if I could help it. Trader Joe's was so crowded that the guy at the door told people they shouldn't bother to come in.

I've had fine experiences in my not even 48 hours here. That first night, I thought of this city as a Beast taken on as a whole, but taken one person at a time, it should be fine. At one store, I conversed with a sales clerk for a while about the old pool halls in this neighborhood. I told him I was moving back after twenty years and he said, "Welcome home!" with a huge smile on his face.

The Stones' song "Shattered" (which I've never been fond of) has been running through my mind, "c'mon - bite the big apple - don't mind the maggots. . ." I hadn't remembered the maggots part, but now that I've googled it and see it was written in 1978, I can see why.

Oh, if only I was looking for an apartment in 1978! The choices would be. . .well! This is fantasy-laden back-in-time-scenario that I should not go near.

Things are what they are right now. All of lower Manhattan is too expensive for this woman! It's almost beyond my comprehension, for there's whole neighborhoods that were once war zones that are now expensive condos and upscale apartments. Where did the poor people go?

Well, folks, I could ramble on. This blog was never meant to be about the ongoing story of my life, but it's rather turned into one in the last six months (at least). There's so much I'll have to write about now, and it won't be rich memories (though the comparisons of my old New York and this new one will be a part of it, surely).

At this moment, I'm grappling with the fact that I'm used to stepping out in my pajamas to find out what the weather is like. The apartment I'm in faces the backs of buildings, and it always looks like it's a gray day. iGoogle is telling me it' rather lovely out. I'll find out soon enough.

Photo note: I'm staying half a block from this East Village landmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment