Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Life goes on


I keep trying to write a post about my "new life" here in Brooklyn, but I'm having a hard time of it. I just deleted yet another entry. Everything I write is dry and reads like a laundry list.

I'm very tired. Exhaustion is not conducive to writing, at least not for me.

There's really nothing much I want to say. I'm unpacking. I'm doing an enormous amount of walking, and my feet and back hurt. I've probably walked more in the last week than I did in the entire year before. I kid you not.

The most noticeable difference in life here is that I'm not living in a monoculture. On the subway, people are reading books, and they're not all in English. I hear many different languages on the street. I went into a supermarket earlier today that was kosher, and both Muslims and Jews were shopping there.

Living amongst many cultures (even in a neighborhood that's not considered all that diverse by New York standards) is a real pleasure.

The biggest shock is that it's quieter on my street than the one I lived on in Maine. There are no trucks, and few cars. The loudest noise, most unfortunately, is the hum of a restaurant's cooling system (or whatever it is). Right now, that is all I can hear, and I wish it would stop, but it's constant until they close at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. I presume I'll learn to tune it out.

I'm sorry I haven't anything more insightful or exciting for you to read. This is pretty much an obligatory post, letting you know that I still find everything interesting and I'm still alive. I would presume there'll be more to say in the future.

Photo note: My windows. It was supposed to be my "deal killer" if an apartment had poor light. Well, so much for that. No direct sunlight ever graces these windows. Still, they are quite charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment