Sunday, September 13, 2009

In need of first aid


After a few rough days emotionally and physically, I woke up this morning with more energy than I've felt in ages. It was beautiful out. As it was early, I eagerly put the new (used) kayak out on Freedom Pond. I had little time, so I explored the boggiest edges, meeting once again with unidentified fall warblers. A small flock of ducks noisily exploded out of the water as I turned away from the reeds, and a few cormorants skitted across the pond, which was as still as I've ever seen it. It was a perfect hour.

Last night, I watched a few short videos on kayaking for beginners. In one of them, it was advised that one always carry a waterproof first aid kit. For the kinds of paddling I like to do, this seems like overkill. I discovered there's a name for what I have recently discovered I love: "quiet water paddling." No white water thrills for this woman. For me, a thrill is discovering a tiny bird in a thicket.

As it turns out, I did need a first aid kit. No, I didn't even come close to tipping the kayak, even if it was new to me and I was trying strokes I learned from a YouTube video at 2:00am in the morning. I had a small accident while walking on the boat ramp. I was not running, nor turning, nor doing anything out of the ordinary. My right foot, which isn't small in the least, fell through a cement slat and I kept on going.

I was bloodied some and will probably develop a colorful collection of bruises. Yes, I could have used a first aid kit. I wrapped my bloody ankle with a few napkins that were in the car's glove box, loaded the kayak back into the car, and headed home to clean myself up and get ready for work.

Somehow, in spite of this, I doubt I'll put together a first aid kit. I will be more mindful about walking on boat ramps in future.

But more than anything, I wish I'd brought my binoculars.

Photo note: I feel certain that I saw a number of these female fall plumage Common Yellowthroats. I deduced this by the call note "tchat!" and the fact that in the Spring, I see many of their most colorful male counterparts on this pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment