Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Is it karma?


As I prepare to sleep on the sofa this evening, it occurs to me that maybe I'm being punished for years of kvetching about the little things.As Dick tucked himself into "bed", I laughingly punched the top of it. He had to laugh, 'cause even though I punched with nearly all my might, I could not make a dent in that mattress . "Punch it", I said. He didn't want to. "C'mon. Just do it." He punched, but not too hard (for I doubt he believed I hit it all that hard). Surely enough, that thing did not budge.

Earlier today, Dick sent me an e-mail with a link to someone else's blog, who is going through the same thing with an Ikea mattress. The subject line of his e-mail? "Ikea has to make this right." Well, somehow I don't think that is going to happen. If I knew how to launch an anti-Ikea viral campaign online, I would make it happen, but I don't, and so it won't.

I've got so much to do, and yet this is taking up a large amount of mental energy. Ikea, if I were someone else, I'd be thinking of lawsuits that include money for mental anguish. Wait. I am thinking of lawsuits that include money for mental anguish. Uh oh.

It's really all so absurd. Once, I complained about a thirty dollar bra right here on this blog, and the head of Maidenform did everything in his power to make things right. Thank you, Mr. Maidenform (and excuse me for forgetting your name). Now, that is great customer service. Over the top, perhaps. But, it made me feel that there were some decent people at corporations. Whether the "problem" was solved didn't matter after I received such caring attention. Three different people at Maidenform went through some trouble to see to it that I got a proper fitting bra.

But now I think I'm getting payback for moaning about ill fitting underwear.

I forgot about the whole thing for three whole hours today while I worked at the yarn shop. It was bizarrely hot out (92 degrees on an April day in Maine?!), but the shop was lovely and cool. I expected it to be packed, but it was fairly quiet. Every time I'm there, I am transported from whatever sour, sad, or bad mood I'm in. There is something about knitters, and fiber, that is just so wonderful. Whether it's helping a woman learn how to knit a sock or talking to an expert knitter while she knits one, I always enjoy the company. When I figure out just what makes knitters such lovely people, I'll get back to you. Right now I'm flat out of the capacity to analyze anything, and besides, I've got to make up the sofa. It's time for bed sleep.

Image note: For more information on how to construct a bed of nails, go here. You'll even learn the physics of the thing. It's supposedly pretty comfortable. Hmm. Maybe that's what I should be sleeping on. It'd help with the feeling I have that I'm due some karmic payback, especially if I sleep on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment